Thursday, November 15, 2012

Healthcare Provider and Social Media - Post 15

One of today's suggestions was to write about why healthcare professionals should use social media.

I am blessed to have an AWESOME primary diabetes healthcare provider. Dr. R. isn't an endocrinologist but she is an ANP-BC, CDE. I looked it up. It is "Adult Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified, Certified Diabetes Educator". I'm not sure she could fit many more letters behind her name.

My visit with her two times ago she asked me if I tweeted. At the time I didn't. I didn't even have a smart phone (.. and still don't. Don't judge.)  She had been to a recent CDE seminar where she met Cherise.  She told me about how they all wore blue for Blue Friday and how there is a group of people on Twitter who are there to help at anytime.  "They are there to talk to or to even ask the carb count of something, like German Chocolate Cake, if you don't know it*." I was hesitant.  I didn't know if I would be able to Tweet from anything but my computer, and what good would that do when I was out and about.  I left that appointment with Twitter on the brain and vowed to look into it sometime that week.

A couple days later during my lunch hour I logged on to Twitter and did some research.  I could use my antiquated old phone, it would just take a little more work.  So I went ahead and signed up.  I believe that is the best thing I have personally done for my diabetes care.  Since then I have participated in many a Wednesday evening #DSMA chat.  I have made many new friends around the world that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I do not know whether or not my HCP uses social media for professional work, but I do know that she very highly recommends it to her patients.  Now, if only I could get insurance to cover a smart phone... Hmmmm.



German Chocolate Cake
Picture and Recipe found here.

*{A slice of three layer German Chocolate Cake - which is 1/12 of a 9in round cake with coconut pecan frosting, is about 83carbs}

4 comments:

  1. Jenn-

    I'm not sure who your ANP-BC, CDE is but if I could meet her (again) and give her a hug...I would. I'm glad she was able to here and see that social media and peer support helps pwds. I'm glad you were able to overcome your fear, research and jump in. You are like my long lost cousin!!!! I will see you on twitter!!! Please give your ANP-BC, CDE a hug for me. NP (and all the abbreviations) ROCK!!! was this conference in June?

    Now we need to figure out how to get you upgraded to a smart phone. Tweet me your cell phone carrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The conference was in June. I will see Dr. R. again at the next JDRF Walk committee meeting, and will pass along your hug then. I'm glad I overcame my fear as well and discovered such a wonderful cousin and #DOC family.

      Delete
  2. I love that she is so supportive of social media, and that she got to meet Cherise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her being so supportive is great, not only for me but for all her other patients too. I must admit.. I am a little jealous that she has met Cherise. A #DOC meet up is on my wish list of things to do.

      Delete