Tuesday, November 20, 2012

No moment of regret - Post 20

This suggested topic flies in the face of one of my sayings.  Don't regret.

There are many times in my life where someone has asked me, "Don't you regret it?"  My response used to be, "Yes, but what can I do about it now?"  That doesn't accomplish much other than make yourself feel crappy about yourself.

I had a dear friend tell me one time that I should never regret any decision I made.  He said (something like this), "You made that decision because you wanted to, and you thought it was the best thing to do.  If you start regretting your decisions then you start second guessing yourself and doubting your ability to be you.  You are the best at being you you'll ever be and NEVER regret that."

When I looked up regret, two of the definitions were: - to feel sorrow or remorse for  & - to think of with a sense of loss.  I don't want to feel sorrow for myself, or think of myself with a sense of loss.  The same goes for diabetes.  It would be way too easy to think of my diabetes as a sense of loss: 
  • I lost the convenience of eating without having a degree in higher math. 
  • I lost a lot of time and money visiting many doctors and purchasing prescriptions. 
  • My husband has even lost peace of mind about me outliving him. 

However, each one of those can be viewed as a gain: 
  • I gained an extra exercise to keep my brain young. 
  • I gained the opportunity to meet new people and develop creative budgeting. 
  • My husband gained one more thing to watch over me for.
I'm sure you're thinking, "But don't you wish you would never have developed diabetes?"  Yes, I do wish that.  Everyday and some days more than others.  {side tangent: One of my favorite sayings about wishes: "Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first."}  However, I don't regret it.  I try to make the best of it, and if I can help even one person, it is worth it.

I believe there is already enough negativity in the world.  I don't need to be adding to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment