Friday, November 2, 2012

The weirdest thing about my health - Post 2

The weirdest thing about my health is that it is so unpredictable.  Don't you think that is weird?  I know I do.  I mean after all, shouldn't it be predictable?  I was born healthy.  I grew up healthy.  I never even broke a bone.  Well, a toe, but that was when I fell up some stairs in front of some really cute guys in high school... long story... never mind.  I never missed a day of school because of the sniffles or anything.  I did have the chicken pox, but that was in the summer so I didn't even get out of school for that!  The worst thing I dealt with was allergies.  I was allergic to whatever season was going on.  Spring - everything was blooming.  Summer - lawns were being cut (this one STILL is horrid for me).  Fall - everything was going to seed.  Winter... OK.. maybe I wasn't allergic to winter, but I'm sure I sneezed at something.  I took so much allergy medication that to this day Benadryl does not make me sleepy.  Fact. 

When I was about to turn 29 and diagnosed with diabetes, it was like a hit upside the head with a cast iron skillet (read the whole story of misdiagnosis and correction here).  I'd been healthy my whole life and I was not prepared.  I learned very quickly, as we all do, that there will be times that no matter what we do we just can't get our numbers down... or up... or stable.  That the darn paper cut you got at work will take longer to heal, and therefore will get cut time and time again.  Predictability went out the window.. or at least out my fingertips.  Who knew those little black dots on my fingertips would NEVER go away, or be buffed out.

Now I know that there are many Type 1's out there, and their health is just as unpredictable as mine.  Does that make mine any less weird?  Not at all.  It just means I have a really large group of Weird Friends... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment