Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day - Post 11

One of today's post suggestions was to write about a favorite thing that is not health-related but likely improves my life.  Today is also Veteran's Day in the United States. 

First and foremost I want to say Thank You to all veteran's who have served their country, be it the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia or any other country.  There is a special place in my heart for anyone who has and is willing to put their lives on the line for someone else.

My family has a long line of military members.  Both my maternal grandparents, my paternal grandfather, a great uncle, my brother, my husband, my husband's father and his step-father all served.  They represent the Army (6), Navy (1), and Marines (1).  My daughter has been a member of her high school's AFJROTC (Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) for four years.  Many of her friends, and kids that have called me Mama Bear, have joined the military.  One just recently returned home after graduating Marine Corps boot camp.  It was so much fun to listen to him and my husband compare stories.  There may have been decades difference in time, but the stories are the same.

As a small token of appreciation a flag is presented to the next of kin at the funeral or memorial service of any veteran.  I have been given the great honor of being 'Keeper of the Flags' for the family.

Left to right: Maternal Grandfather (Navy), Maternal Grandmother (Army), Father-in-law (Army), Paternal Grandfather (Army), Paternal Great Uncle (Army), Step Father-in-Law (Army).


The Veterans in my life have improved and protected my life in more ways than I can count, and they will always do so.  I will never be able to fully express my gratitude for the sacrifice that each and every member of the military has given.  I just hope and pray they know.

My prayer for today is that each and every member of the armed service is kept safe and that each and every member of their family knows how thankful we are for their sacrifice as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment