Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Excuse me...

Last Tuesday it was time to switch out my G4 Dexcom sensor. I have almost always used my stomach. The one time I tried my leg with my 7+, the readings were never close enough for my comfort.

This time I needed wanted something different. I have two areas on my stomach that look a little patchy from the tape. I figured it was time to give them a break. It's been a year since my first sensor. It was time.

So Tuesday while at work I switched out my sensor. My co-worker helped me as I wasn't sure I could get the angle right without some major yoga moves.

I think taking a picture of the back of my arm was actually
harder than inserting the sensor there.

I thought it would be fun to keep track of the different comments I received while wearing the sensor in such a visible spot. I knew I would at least get a couple questions and a few comments, but I wasn't expecting some of them.

Here is a list of what I heard:
  1. So you're trying your arm, huh? (said by a co-worker while she poked it)
  2. So what is that? (said by another co-worker)
  3. So is that a new thing in your arm? (yet another co-worker.. side note.. we are a talkative office)
  4. It looks like an electronic tumor growing on your arm. (said by my supervisor. He meant it in all humor)
  5. Nice robotic blister. (This one made me laugh! My daughter's boyfriend is a riot.)
  6. So what's this new patch you have? (co-worker.. see, we're a talkative bunch)
  7. Excuse me, may, I ask you what that is on your arm?
While all of them were polite and appropriate in accordance with whom I was speaking with, the last one was my favourite. My husband and I were just leaving Costco (for under $100.. can you believe it? .. sorry.. I digress), and this lady walked up beside me and said, "Excuse me, may I ask you what that is on your arm?" I answered as simply and to the best of my ability as I could. I even showed off my receiver. In the back of my mind I was hoping that I wasn't high, I was actually running low. The screen showed "80mg/dl LOW", which was a perfect example of why a CGM is so important. She was fascinated and stated that she had never heard of such a device and thanked me for taking time to talk to her.

The entire interaction was less than 5 minutes, but I know the ripple effect will go far. As this lady was getting into her car she was explaining what she learned to her companion. I could hear the excitement in her voice.  You know the sound.  You could almost picture her going home and telling a family member about this new device that she saw and how much help it would be for so and so. 

The ugly tape, the funky tan lines, the weird looks.. it is all worth it because one lady now knows more.

5 comments:

  1. I got plenty of comments and questions like these, some not as nice as these, when my pump site was on my arm. High school students aren't as nice as co-workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree.. high school students can be pretty mean, but it gets better! Just think, you'll have co-workers some day making up fun names for everything. ;)

      Delete
  2. You know you're not open enough with your family when your husband asks what that thing on your arm is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true... But after so many years you find mystery and keep the intrigue alive anyway you can. ;)

      Delete