Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Physical therapy

This morning I finished my fifth appointment with the physical therapist.  I must confess, it isn't as bad as it's made out to be.  I have heard, and said, many a joke about physical therapists.  The physical therapy center locally is even in the bottom of the medical building.  I've commented that it makes sense, after all that is where torture chambers belong: in the dungeon or the basement.

I have noticed a difference in my lower back since I've started.  The catching feeling is only there if I turn funny.  The 'hot' feeling is only there if I do all exercises, afternoon walking, AND physical therapy.  I call that major improvement.

One of the other benefits of all of this extra exercise is the effect it has on my blood sugar levels.
I have to start a lower temp basal about 15 minutes before I arrive and have it last for about 30 minutes after I leave.  Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Today I had to do a couple glucose tabs, where as last week I ran higher than normal.  Oh the science and fickleness of diabetes.

I have five more sessions that the doctor originally ordered.  The goal is to be nearly back to normal and pain free by the end.  If I keep up with my at home exercises that I've been assigned, I fully expect this to be an achievable goal.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that physical therapy is helping you and your blood sugar!

    Good luck with your PT and PT homework. I have full range of motion in my knee thanks to physical therapy several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)

      PT does wonders for that. Personally I think a good physical therapist is like a good endo...hard to find but so worth keeping.

      Delete